Thursday, January 7, 2010

Always nice to meet new friends

This is a Weta

My husband was staining a fence along our driveway today and saw a this huge guy crawl out, into the bushes and away from the spraying.

So, as usual, when we see a new creature or insect, we get the camera out.

Looking online, it could possibly be a "Cave Weta" (and not a Tree Weta or Bush Weta)... Or could be a brand new species just living on our property.

They are usually harmless to humans and are a protected insect.

They don't look like they need much protection, though... look like they could kick some serious a&&, don't ya think?!

Always nice to meet new friends though...

Some good pix of the different Weta species here.

(have I mentioned NZ has 1400 species of snails?)

2 comments:

  1. ha ha Laura... I was a bit concerned when I first heard my husband yelling from outside "Lisa, come QUICK... HURRY..." (what, did he hurt himself...?)

    & then few seconds later "... and bring the camera..." aaah: some huge bug (because I know he likes 'em)

    ReplyDelete