Monday, July 13, 2009

Tuis in the morning

I am usually up at 5:30am every week day. Throwing on clothes, as our dog also rises from underneath the covers of our bed, she and I go for a quick morning constitutional down our street. Where we live in Auckland, most mornings are very quiet, tranquil and beautiful and majority of trees are green all year long.

I hear Tuis almost every morning. Their loud, distinctive song is bit like a forlorn but sweet morning church bell. Sometimes I can spot one, usually alone, singing away in a tree or swooping to a better vantage point in another tree. Is he singing to me or just warning the neighbourhood a predator approaches? I have decided these morning calls are probably territorial as the lone Tui sings “...hey, this is my zone, and all of you better remember that...”.

So now I feel I must apologize to the Robins, Cardinals, Blue Jays and other Northern Illinois birds. Tuis and their unique New Zealand sound is my new favourite. I still miss the abundance of Illinois wild life, birds and animals but it is really great fun learning about native birds, wildlife, flora and fauna in the new place I call home. NZ really feels like home to me now; not sure I’d want to live anywhere else.

Click here to listen to a Tui or other NZ birds.

Click here for more information on Tuis.

2 comments:

  1. nice... i do hear the morning coming when tui's make their calls...nz is an amazing place to be

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by and commenting, epi

    we get lots of Tuis and wood pigeons ...

    cheers!

    :)

    ReplyDelete