Record snow storm hits Washington DC 6-Feb-2010
Even the post office closed... NYTimes said biggest snow fall since 1922...
Anthony Watts (from WattsUpwithThat.com) and Joseph D'Aleo co-authored a recent paper posted at SPPI called "Surface Temperature Records: Policy Driven Deception"?
The summary for policymakers:
- Instrumental temperature data for the pre-satellite era (1850-1980) have been so widely, systematically, and unidirectionally tampered with that it cannot be credibly asserted there has been any significant “global warming” in the 20th century.
- All terrestrial surface-temperature databases exhibit very serious problems that render them useless for determining accurate long-term temperature trends.
- All of the problems have skewed the data so as greatly to overstate observed warming both regionally and globally.
- Global terrestrial temperature data are gravely compromised because more than three-quarters of the 6,000 stations that once existed are no longer reporting.
- There has been a severe bias towards removing higher-altitude, higher-latitude, and rural stations, leading to a further serious overstatement of warming.
- Contamination by urbanization, changes in land use, improper siting, and inadequately-calibrated instrument upgrades further overstates warming.
- Numerous peer-reviewed papers in recent years have shown the overstatement of observed longer term warming is 30-50% from heat-island contamination alone.
- Cherry-picking of observing sites combined with interpolation to vacant data grids may make heat-island bias greater than 50% of 20th-century warming.
- In the oceans, data are missing and uncertainties are substantial. Comprehensive coverage has only been available since 2003, and shows no warming.
- Satellite temperature monitoring has provided an alternative to terrestrial stations in compiling the global lower-troposphere temperature record. Their findings are increasingly diverging from the station-based constructions in a manner consistent with evidence of a warm bias in the surface temperature record.
- NOAA and NASA, along with CRU, were the driving forces behind the systematic hyping of 20th-century “global warming”.
- Changes have been made to alter the historical record to mask cyclical changes that could be readily explained by natural factors like multidecadal ocean and solar changes.
- Global terrestrial data bases are seriously flawed and can no longer be trusted to assess climate trends or VALIDATE model forecasts.
- An inclusive external assessment is essential of the surface temperature record of CRU, GISS and NCDC “chaired and paneled by mutually agreed to climate scientists who do not have a vested interest in the outcome of the evaluations.”15. Reliance on the global data by both the UNIPCC and the US GCRP/CCSP also requires a full investigation and audit
Also, check out another site skeptical of AGW theories:
The Sun, not a harmless essential trace gas, drives climate change
...the sun? Now there's a thought!