Saturday, August 15, 2009

Burke-isms still worth noting

I am sure post people have heard some iteration of Edmund Burke's most famous quote:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

On a site I found called Conservapedia, I have found a couple other great Burke quotes:

"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts."

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."

"Nothing turns out to be so oppressive and unjust as a feeble government."

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare."

Regular Folks United have posted a couple of gems (below) from one of my favorite speakers Daniel Hannan. It is quite clear why conservative proponents (eg G.Beck) continue to have Mr. Hannan comment on American issues since he "gets it". I forsee, if Britain has not gone too far down the road of Muslim-ification and gets smarter, Mr. Hannan could become a great leader for her. He would be an excellent prime minister. Since there is a current Brit in the white house, perhaps we could run Daniel Hannan in 2012? ... well... just a thought...

Below is part I of Mr. Hannan's speech at the Army Navy Club, August 2009. Click here to get the other sections from You Tube. I liked the Burke-ism which Mr. Hannan worked in this first part of his speech about a few noisy crickets in the forest and a nearby herd of silent cows: rulers should not mistake thinking a few noisy crickets are the only denizens in the forest! That is EXACTLY what is going on in the USA right now since only 22% voted for BHO. The remaining 78% of the population WILL NOT TOLERATE the hastened march to Communism. You can bet life and liberty on THAT.

I must get this book: "The Best of Burke: Selected Writings and Speeches of Edmund Burke (Conservative Leadership Series)"

Bit of commentary on Edmund Burke from the "Confuscious Institute".

Weird how relevant Burke-isms are in today's modern world. I think that is because he hit upon truths that stand the test of time for civilized society to evolve and survive: conservative principles work.

No comments:

Post a Comment