Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beer run to Brat Stop with Hostess



You've heard about the many companies now letting people go ahead of Barry's Obamascare, right?

Guess what, as the USA economy continues to tank?  YOU OWN IT DEM-COMMIES!

Unions stink.  But Barry loves the unions. 

The net buzz this week is because 12 unions killed American iconic company Hostess.  TWELVE UNIONS?!?! 

Yesthey've been having troubles all year.



Recently posted at their web site:

"The BCTGM in September rejected a last, best and final offer from Hostess Brands designed to lower costs so that the Company could attract new financing and emerge from Chapter 11. Hostess Brands then received Court authority on Oct. 3 to unilaterally impose changes to the BCTGM’s collective bargaining agreements.
Hostess Brands is unprofitable under its current cost structure, much of which is determined by union wages and pension costs. The offer to the BCTGM included wage, benefit and work rule concessions but also gave Hostess Brands’ 12 unions a 25 percent ownership stake in the company, representation on its Board of Directors and $100 million in reorganized Hostess Brands’ debt.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” said Gregory F. Rayburn, chief executive officer. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”


 
"In addition to dozens of baking and distribution facilities around the country, Hostess Brands will sell its popular brands, including Hostess®, Drakes® and Dolly Madison®, which make iconic cake products such as Twinkies®, CupCakes, Ding Dongs®, Ho Ho’s®, Sno Balls® and Donettes®. Bread brands to be sold include Wonder®, Nature’s Pride ®, Merita®, Home Pride®, Butternut®, and Beefsteak®, among others.

The wind down means the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores throughout the United States."

So you got that?  Unions refused lesser pay so 18,500 members now have NO PAY AT ALL.  Hey lefty union goons, how is NOTHING better than less?



For kiwis, Americans are sad about Hostess the way you were sad Georgie Pie went away. There is even a "movement" in NZ to bring back Georgie Pie! I don't fully understand the fascination with small meat pies, but change it to Twinkies or Hostess Cherry Pie and I get it.  Those feelings of comfort at your nation's history shows up in their icons - and when they are lost.   

Twinkies have been in several movies.

For me, I didn't love Twinkies as much as their Cherry Pies.  I've owned a 3 different Mazda Miatas (MX5 in NZ).  In Chicago, with all the hot / cold / snow temperature changes, cars usually only last may 5-7 years.  I bought a shiny Red Miata in 1990, leased a black one in 1996 for 2 years and then bought a used green one in 2005.  Obviously I love them.



I've always been an independent person - I'm the oldest of 3 daughters and my dad bought us kids a car when I was 16.  I got my full driver's license soon as I turned 16 and I was mobile - driving us to school and driving myself all over the Chicago area.  I explored, partied (sssh, don't tell my folks), made a few trips up to Wisconsin border when I turned 18 just to buy booze.  When I could legally buy liquor, mom just said "oh, just have your parties here..." at our house - so I did.  I had a couple of really fun parties when I was 18...

Driving around as a teenager makes you feel free - life is yours for the taking.  Yes, I worked to make money for my own gas.  I remember hot summer days I was 18 - driving to Wisconsin down long, flat country highways.  Since I had to get around, I would often stop at gas (petrol) service stations to fill up.  And at every gas station, sitting in happy little shelves - were Hostess products.  Those Cherry Pies would always look up at me in their cute little white and red wrappers and say "you know you want me...!".  So, yep, I'd usually walk away after paying for gas with a little packaged pie. 



The easiest way to eat any flavor Hostess Pie is to gently tear open the very end of the wrapper enough to expose the sugared bakery crust.  Take a nibble or two or three then slide it further out to get to the next bites. This is of course SO easy to do when driving, put the pie in one hand - turn on the radio to some loud pop or rock and roll... roll down the window part way, not too much or your long blonde flings in your face - but enough to get a warm breeze and smell green grass or odors when passing a dairy farm on a country highway. 

Yep, that was me ->  age 18, driving down a Wisconsin 2 lane highway, full tank of gass, summer sunshine, green grass, farms, trunk full of beer, bottle of Jack Daniels, Coke ready to party - driving care free with a Hostess Cherry Pie in hand heading back to Wilmette, Illinois...  

"world famous" Brat Stop in Kenosha Wisconsin - good brats and sells beer to go!

4 comments:

  1. Love the Cherry Pie,myself.And yep,these contemporary union executive jack-holes WOULD rather everyone be out of work than take a pay/benefit cut in hard times,in order to keep the company afloat,so PEOPLE CAN BE EMPLOYED,rather than being on un-employment.These guys are like the middle/upper middle class Arab jack-holes who di the 9/11 attacks.Spoiled little shits who are playing juvenile games with serious consequences.Sorry,I've had a recent likening for the slang "jack-holes"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way,I tried to comment on another post,but after 8 tries of going thru the "type the code" blah blah thing,I gave upJust sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey J.O.B - I'll have to hit the Brat Stop again when next I'm passing by that way... perhaps a drive up to the Osh Kosh EAA airshow end of July in a summer or 2 or 3... dunno when next we'll be in Wisconsin for summer sunshine, beers and brats! :)

    Hey tjones - I only recently took the code off to allow comments so possible its still 'on' for older posts (not sure, I'm not a google-expert per se) - I do appreciate your comments and feedback!

    Update on Hostess in NZ? We have none - we went to "Martha's Backyard" and they thought there might be some on their next shipment... so... somewhere in the Pacific, in a container - is a few wee lil Cherry Pies with my name on it...

    maybe... or... I'll just have to forget it and make my own pie, eh!?!

    have a nice day guys... Lisa G

    ReplyDelete