Sunday, October 3, 2010

Spring weekend thinking of friends in Chicago

Took these photos today puttering around in my spring NZ garden. Morning started off quite cool and we made a fire in the wood burner. But, midday it got up to 60F or so with warm sunshine and cool breezes.
My sister emailed me yesterday my dad had an operation in Chicago to remove a suspicious lump from his bladder. My parents and in-laws are both elderly. It's that time of life I may face a loss of a parent. It is a natural cycle and I've steeled myself for the eventuality.
I have a good relationship with both my parents and have had for many years. I know they love me and they know I love them. I saw them both a year ago when I visited Chicago. If one of them falls ill needing long term hospitalization or nursing care, I may consider going home for a couple months to help out and visit with them.
If I lose an elderly parent suddenly, is that better than a long, protracted illness? Maybe...
For now, I'll try to keep in touch best I can. My mom never learned the internet or email, so phone calls and standard mail have to suffice. My dad is internet savvy and relies on emails now because he can't hear very well any more. They are special people and I am thankful they chose to adopt me when I was 3 days old. They adopted 3 children. It takes loving and strong people to adopt. I wish more teenagers would opt for adoption instead of abortion.
While my siblings are different people, we live our own lives and I am far away, we still share common bonds of growing up as a family. ... And sometimes, on the other side of the globe... I miss that and them...

No comments:

Post a Comment