I still like my commute!!
I previously posted couple random pictures of what Auckland looks like on my daily drive. ...Thought I’d list a few interesting tidbits of what I pass by:
- School kids walking or waiting for buses, all in uniforms. Boys: white shirts, blue shorts. Girls: white shirts, red, blue or plaid skirts.
- Vineyard on hilly landscape: with long rolls of netting, when grapes are present, to protect against birds.
- Train stops and bus stations with 10-20 people waiting (never a crowd ... ever).
- Sheep, horse or cow paddocks with stock grazing happily in green pastures.
- NZ air force base with C130s doing fly bys, touch ‘n’ goes or dropping parachutists for practice.
- Open air fruit and vegetable markets with roofs, but open spaces for doors: open daily.
- Buddhist temple set back on large acreage.
- Large golf course.
- Beer distributor / restaurant combination.
- Flat grassy paddock set up for equestrian hunter/jumper riding and eventing.
- Harbours with anchored sailboats and ferries, sailboats out on the water.
- In winter: tall grapefruit trees with hundreds of ripe fruit.
- Flowering bushes and trees: every day, yes: all year.
- Landscaped lawns, yards with meter high flax, bush or aloe vera plants.
- Dormant volcano, Mt. Rangitoto: formed 600 years ago across the harbour from Auckland city business district. There are 40 dormant volcanoes around the city. :)
- Pukekos alongside the grassy edges of the motorway.